Japan Society encourages individuals with interest in Japanese culture and flexible time schedules to consider becoming a volunteer. Volunteers serve on an “as-needed” basis. Assignments depend upon the individual volunteer’s area of interest, skills, and availability. Opportunities include:
- Welcome Desk Volunteer – Part-time shifts – Monday through Friday
Welcome Desk volunteers serve as Japan Society ambassadors by greeting and welcoming visitors, answering phones, providing information about our programs and exhibitions, and performing box office duties. Other duties include data-entry, providing light administrative support, and assisting with related activities and projects. Training will be provided.
Anticipated Time Commitment:
· Opportunities include regular ongoing commitments for morning or afternoon shifts. Typically, Welcome Desk shifts will be 3.5 hours in length, for two or more days per week, Monday through Friday, 11:00 am to 2:30 pm, and 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm.
· We also seek volunteers with flexible schedules to serve on an irregular on-call as-needed basis. This may include staying late to run the box office for some evening events.
· Excellent customer services skills and comfort interacting with the general public
· Computer proficiency
· An interest in Japanese culture
· Volunteers may stand and sit for extended periods of time, and need good visual, oral and hearing skills.
· Supporting Japan Society’s mission
· Complimentary admission to our events, films, programs, and Gallery
· Invitations to select exhibit previews and special events
· Opportunities to meet people who share your interests
To apply, please forward your letter of interest, indicating your anticipated available time commitment, to – email@example.com
- Evening Lecture Programs – Volunteers assist in ushering, ticket handling, fielding questions, and related activities. Programs begin at 5:45 pm, Monday to Friday. If you are interested in volunteering at evening Lecture Programs, contact Tomomi Sekiya at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Language Center Events – Volunteers assist with general office support, language class/event check-ins, and other event-related tasks. If you are interested in volunteering at the Toyota Language Center/C.V. Starr Library, please email email@example.com.
- Performing Arts Programs – Volunteers assist in ushering, greeting patrons, and other front-of-house related tasks. If you are interested in volunteering for Performing Arts events, contact the Performing Arts Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We accept applications at all times, and will contact applicants for interviews as volunteer opportunities become available.
- Clerical and Administrative Projects – Volunteers assist staff throughout Japan Society with general office support and special projects. To apply, email email@example.com.