John T. Carpenter: Amusements in a Samurai Mansion—Male Youths as Actors, Escorts or Outcasts in Early Edo ArtSunday, March 12, 11 AM
Upcoming ExhibitionA Third Gender: Beautiful Youths in Japanese Prints
Opening March 10, 2017
Featuring over 65 woodblock prints, as well as paintings, luxury objects and personal ornaments, A Third Gender: Beautiful Youths in Japanese Prints offers a critical artistic and historical context for gender performance and sexual expression in Edo Period (1603-1868) Japan.
Japan Earthquake Relief Fund
We would like to express our deepest condolences and sympathy to those affected by the recent earthquakes that hit Kumamoto. Japan Society accepts contributions to support recovery in Kumamoto and remains active in Tohoku as recovery is ongoing and much remains to be done. We are grateful to all those who have generously supported the people of Japan.
Spring Registration Now OpenRegister early—classes fill up very fast!
- RT @smithsonian: We're giving you a preview of #InfiniteKusama this morning, which opens tomorrow at our @hirshhorn! Find out more at https�
- RT @js_TalksPlus: Celebrate! 2/22 is National Cat Day in Japan! https://t.co/4tx8ie8cq4 #nyan https://t.co/6R2mceMf9z
- RT @js_film_nyc: Rest in peace, Seijun Suzuki. The legendary filmmaker passed away at 93. https://t.co/ae0F1rWOxW ???? https://t.co/nrcdgQq�
- RT @nippon_en: Lego dolls on display ahead of the �hinamatsuri,� the March 3 doll festival that celebrates daughters. https://t.co/EKoXtSVb�
- #NihonBuyo�literally �Japanese dance��a modern form based on traditional kabuki dance. Top performers here 3/3-5! https://t.co/YlvLWQEGMJ
- RT @JS_BizPol: #Japan government wants self-driving cars on the road by 2020 #Tokyo Olympics https://t.co/3REgc9VNYU @japantimes https://t.�
Stay informed about all Japan Society programs and events.