Become a Member
Individual Members are central to what we do and why we do it. This is why you’ll always be front and center for exhibitions, series, festivals, performances and more as a member.
Members at Japan Society enjoy exclusive benefits, invitations to special events and discounts on hundreds of performances, films, lectures and classes annually. Learn more about membership levels and related perks below, and visit our FAQ page for additional information about our dynamic program.
Dual ($100) ** Benefits for 2
Family ($125) Benefits for 2 adults and up to 4 children
- Free Gallery admission
- 20% discount on ticketed programs
- Up to 15% off on language courses & workshops
- Access to Member presales
* $20 Discount for Students, Seniors, or persons with disabilities
** $20 Discount for Seniors or persons with disabilities
- Student (full-time students with valid ID)
- Senior (age 65 and older with verification)
- Disabled (documentation may be required)
- Complimentary tickets to all “virtual” programs ***
- Complimentary rentals for 2 JAPAN CUTS online films
- Complimentary tickets for you and a guest to one JAPAN CUTS in-person film screening of your choice
- $5 Gallery Admission for your guests
Circle of Friends
Circle of Friends Members receive all the perks of membership, plus access to the Society’s team of experts on Japan. Giving at these levels provides philanthropic support that enables Japan Society to fulfill its mission and share its love of Japan globally!
Patron Circle ($1,000)
- Complimentary Gallery admission for 2 guests
- Access to LIVE “virtual” Leadership Briefings
- Opportunity to designate your gift as direct program support, with option to join an Affinity Group (see below)
- Recognition in Japan Society’s Annual Report
Benefactor Circle ($2,000)
- Complimentary Gallery admission for 4 guests
- One-on-one conversation with Program Director of choice
Leadership Circle ($5,000)
- Opportunity to earmark support for a specific event or production
- Private Gallery tour - or - Meet’n’Greet with artists, performers or speakers for up to 6 guests, upon request
Circle Members may choose to directly support Japan Society programs by joining one of four Affinity Groups with a minimum gift designation of $1,000. Affinity Group members are recognized as a “Friend of...” their designated program area and invited to curated events. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join an Affinity Group.
FRIENDS OF THE GALLERY
Provide critical financial support that sustains Japan Society’s dynamic exhibitions and related lectures and workshops. Established in 1971, the Gallery is one of the few North American public venues that exclusively showcases a full spectrum of Japanese art and its influence on the global artistic scene.
ADDITIONAL PERKS: Gallery and collection visits, private exhibition viewings, studio trips with artists, and first access to art fair VIP passes.
FRIENDS OF PERFORMING ARTS
Is a community of passionate theater-goers, music enthusiasts and dance lovers dedicated to Japanese performing arts. Since 1953, Japan Society has presented over 700 performances of the finest in traditional and contemporary dance, music, theater and puppetry arts. From traditional noh plays to commissioned new works from cutting-edge artists, Japan Society is committed to bringing innovative artists of the highest caliber to New York and the U.S.
ADDITIONAL PERKS: Advanced notice of performing arts outings, special invitations to private rehearsals, intimate chats and post-show toasts with artists.
FRIENDS OF FILM
Are avid film-lovers who celebrate the country’s rich cinematic culture. Since its first screening in 1922, the Film Program has become the leading pioneer introducing Japan’s rich and diverse films to American audiences. From retrospectives of classics by seminal film-makers, to JAPAN CUTS featuring international, U.S. and New York premieres of the most current releases, Film at Japan Society has something to enchant everyone.
ADDITIONAL PERKS: Private invitations to intimate receptions with prominent film actors, directors, and industry professionals, special screenings, among other film-related events.
FRIENDS OF EDUCATION AND FAMILY PROGRAMS
Have a strong desire to make a difference in international education. Sparking interest in Japan through a suite of family, school and educators programs, our Education department connects classrooms around the world.
ADDITIONAL PERKS: Special invitations to the Junior Fellows Student Exchange program semi-annual receptions, among other education-related receptions and events.