Visitor Policies and Safety Protocols
We look forward to welcoming you back to Japan Society! It is our mission to provide a safe and secure environment for all of our valued patrons. Below are some guidelines to help you plan your visit.
Before Your Visit:
- Advance ticket purchase or reservation is required to view our gallery exhibition. Timed tickets may be purchased here.
- Late admittance cannot be guaranteed, but we will do our best to accommodate you. We recommend arriving just before your scheduled entry time.
- Your health and safety are important to us! If you feel unwell, or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 prior to your visit, please stay home. You may contact us to reschedule your visit without penalty or to arrange a full refund.
- Japan Society retains the right to close at its discretion. If the gallery closes on the day or time of your visit following your ticket purchase, we will alert you and issue an automatic refund.
- Visitors from outside of New York or a contiguous state are required to quarantine for 10 days, or “test out” of quarantine. Details are available here.
- Thursdays and Fridays from 11 am to 12 pm are reserved for Members, visitors age 65 and older, and those who are immunocompromised or at higher risk from COVID-19.
- Coat check is currently unavailable, so please make sure to pack light when visiting.
- Due to mask requirements, eating and drinking are currently not permitted on site.
- At this time, there are no group visits or guided tours in-person. However, we are offering virtual docent tours and virtual student group tours (K-12), upon request. Two weeks advance notice is recommended. Please contact our gallery or education teams, respectively, for more information.
During Your Visit:
By entering the museum, you agree to abide by all of these safety policies. For the safety of all within our building, we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who declines to wear a mask. Failure to comply with these policies while visiting Japan Society may result in your removal from the premises without a refund.
- You affirm that within the last 14 days you have not:
- Tested positive for COVID-19
- Had any symptoms associated with COVID-19
- Been exposed to anyone who has tested positive or is showing symptoms
- Traveled outside of New York State or a contiguous state, OR have followed all New York State requirements regarding testing and quarantining upon reentry
- Everyone entering Japan Society (ages 2+) must wear face coverings that cover both the nose and mouth at all times. Visitors not wearing masks appropriately will not be allowed entry into the building. Masks with exhalation valves or vents, or bandanas used as face coverings, are not permitted.
- All visitors are required to maintain social distancing, keeping 6 feet from anyone not in their party at all times.
- Wash or disinfect your hands frequently during your visit. For your convenience, sanitizer stations will be available throughout our building.
- You are encouraged to provide your contact information to Japan Society once you arrive for contact tracing purposes.
- Please follow the instructions of security guards and other Japan Society staff, as they are present to help keep all of our visitors safe.
- If you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of visiting Japan Society, you will notify the Japan Society Box Office at email@example.com or 212-715-1258.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and other infectious conditions exists in any public space where people are present. Those visiting Japan Society do so at their own risk.
Please note that we are consistently monitoring our safety protocols to comply with CDC, New York State, and New York City guidelines. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Box Office during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 10am – 6pm: firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-715-1258.