Visitor Policies and Safety Protocols
We look forward to welcoming you back to Japan Society! It is our mission to provide a safe and secure environment for all of our valued patrons. Below are some guidelines to help you plan your visit.
All attendees should read and adhere to the general guidelines enclosed below.
Before Your Visit:
- Your health and safety are important to us! If you feel unwell, or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 prior to your visit, please stay home. You may contact us to arrange an exchange or refund.
- To protect everyone’s safety, proof of vaccination is required to attend on-site events, and all attendees must have received their final dose at least 14 days prior to the date of the event. Masks are required at all times.
- As of February 1, 2022, proof of a booster will be required for all those who are eligible to receive it (at least five months after final dose of a two-dose series, or two months after a single-dose vaccine), with a four-week grace period upon becoming eligible. After those four weeks have passed, entry will not be permitted until the booster has been received.
- For all ticketed events:
- Masks are required at all times. Masks with vents/bandanas are not permitted. Respirator-style masks (N95, KN95, KF94, etc.) are encouraged. A mask can be provided if you do not have one.
- Children must be accompanied by a fully-vaccinated adult. Children aged 5-11 must show proof of full vaccination (both doses, final dose received at least 14 days prior). Children under the age of 5 must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of the event start time or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within six hours of the event start time. The test results must clearly show the date and time of the test. The test may be performed by a medical professional or by using an over-the-counter testing kit.
- For the Gallery exhibition:
- Full vaccination, plus booster is required to enter the building. Masks are required at all times. Masks with vents/bandanas are not permitted. A mask can be provided if you do not have one.
- The hours of 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm are reserved for Members and higher-risk individuals. Capacity is strictly limited via timed ticketing, and social distancing is required at all times.
- During hours of 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, capacity is limited via timed ticketing. Social distancing is strongly encouraged to the extent possible, but not guaranteed.
- Children must be accompanied by a fully-vaccinated adult. Children aged 5-11 must show proof of full vaccination (both doses, final dose received at least 14 days prior). Children under the age of 5 will be admitted with no testing required.
- Coat check is currently unavailable, so please make sure to pack light when visiting.
- Due to mask requirements, eating and drinking are currently not permitted on site.
- Japan Society retains the right to close at its discretion. If Japan Society closes on the day or time of your visit following your ticket purchase, we will alert you and issue an automatic refund.
During Your Visit:
By entering the building, you agree to abide by all of these safety policies. For the safety of all within our building, we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who declines to wear a mask. Failure to comply with these policies while visiting Japan Society may result in your removal from the premises without a refund.
You must show proof of full vaccination, plus booster (if eligible). The following are acceptable as proof of vaccination along with an appropriate ID matching the name on the COVID-19 vaccination documentation:
- 1. Vaccination card (which includes name, type of vaccine provided and date last dose administered)
- 2. A photo of a vaccination card as a separate document, or stored on a phone or electronic device
- 3. Documentation of vaccination from a healthcare provider electronic health record or state Immunization Information System record (ex: Excelsior Pass, etc.)
Self-reported vaccination records that are not verified by a health care provider cannot be accepted.
By entering Japan Society, you agree to abide by the following policies:
You affirm that:
- - You have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an approved vaccine, with at least 14 days having passed since your final dose
- - You have received a booster shot, if eligible (5 months after a two-dose series or 2 months after a single-dose vaccine, with a 4-week grace period upon becoming eligible)
- - If you have traveled outside of the United States, you are in full compliance with current CDC testing protocol
You affirm that within the last 10 days you have not:
- - Tested positive for COVID-19
- - Had any symptoms associated with COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea)
- - Been exposed to anyone who has tested positive or is showing symptoms
You affirm that you will:
- - Wear a mask properly at all times
- - Notify Japan Society if you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of visiting
- - Follow the instructions of security guards and other Japan Society staff, as they are present to keep all visitors safe
- - Acknowledge that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and other infectious conditions exists in any public space where people are present. Those visiting Japan Society do so at their own risk.
If you feel unwell, or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 prior to your visit, please stay home and contact our Box Office.
Please note that we are consistently monitoring our safety protocols to comply with CDC, New York State, and New York City guidelines. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Box Office during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm: email@example.com or 212-715-1258.